Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection

Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection

In 1916, the Ukrainian Catholics of Dauphin held their first service. By 1936, the parish had increased, and a new church had to be erected. The Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection began construction in 1936 and was finished by 1939. The architecture of this monument was designed by Father Philip Ruh, and his work became known as “prairie cathedrals.” Many say this historic church was one of his best designs!

In 1957, the well-known iconographer, Theodore Baran, began painting the interior of the church. With this, he depicted the biblical story using icons, while incorporating traditional Ukrainian colours and symbols. His spectacular murals and imagery create one of the most visually appealing interiors in the province of Manitoba.

The Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection is dedicated as both a provincial and national historic site. When it is safe to do so, we are looking forward to sharing the beauty of this church with you!

Phone 204-638-6746 to book an appointment.

LOCATION:
1106- 1st Street SW
Dauphin, Manitoba
R7N 2N3